New Wineskins

Dad: Boy, this has been a hard year for you.

Me: Yes, yes it has been. Thanks for noticing.


Dad: We thought it was going to be the year of breakthrough…more like the year of breakdown.

HAHAHA! No, no! I’m just kidding.


Me: No, that’s perfect actually. 

Like, hey, Lord, oh you were saying breakdown?!? Ahhhh. Totally makes sense now.


*proceed to laugh ourselves to death*

 

😂😂😂



Life isn’t always awesome. And we all process that fact differently. 


For me, there‘s an ebb and flow to my emotional strength when faced with trials, deferred hopes, and loss. 


Usually I’m pretty strong, because I’ve got big faith in my Mighty God. But I’m also human (thank the Lord) and can’t always keep a stiff upper lip. 


But after crying, and sometimes plain, brutal honesty about my worst feelings and thoughts with the Lord, there’s eventually laughter


When I cry, He cries with me because He is full of compassion. 


When I am angry at Him, He is understanding and, again, full of compassion, patiently sticking with me until I let it all out and calm down enough to see Him rightly again. 


And when I laugh, He absolutely laughs with me. 


The Lord is so good. 


One tough year after another doesn’t change that. 


My circumstances do not color who He is. 


He remains true and unchangeable throughout it all - 


my one constant, 


my faithful friend, 


the lover of my soul.



A wise woman I’ve had the privilege of getting to know a little more this year shared something really simple yet profound. 


She said she’s encouraged to pray into this year by first asking the Lord, 


“What do you want me to shake off from last year? What am I carrying or what was put on me that You don’t want me to carry into this new year? What should I leave behind?”


I know it’s already several weeks into 2023. But if any of this resonates with you, I encourage you to pray that prayer. 


Ask the Lord what He wants you to shake off. 


May 2023 be a year of new wineskins for the new wine He wants to produce in you.







Comments

Popular Posts